What is the one thing that sets connected couples apart from others?It’s not just what they do per se. We’ve covered that in previous blogs. Things like:
- good communication
- mutual support
- date nights
Why is it so difficult to be vulnerable?Here are three common barriers to vulnerability between couples.
- Pride – I don’t want to be seen as weak or imperfect
- Shame – you might not like me or judge me
- Fear – you might reject me or punish me
What do most people do about vulnerability?
- Suppress it – push feelings down, avoid expressing themselves
- Reject it – I will feel worse. It won’t work. I will be judged.
- Numb it – Brene Brown in a Ted Talk about the subject noted that addiction is a common way we numb unpleasant feelings.
Vulnerability is not easy for emotionally distant couples
- They don’t feel safe
- They don’t trust their partner
- They don’t think it will make a difference